At Acres of Green Landscaping, we love helping our clients design and build landscapes that beautify their home and provide unique benefits. One of our favorite things to do is to create beautiful landscapes for nature lovers.
Gardens for Bird Lovers
Did you know that Massachusetts is home to more than 250 species of birds, many of which call our state home year-round. Here are some tips for making your yard a haven for birds and a birdwatching paradise for you.
- Water: Birds of all types need and look for sources of water. They are particularly attracted to the bubbling and trickling of water in motion. A birdbath with a small motor, or a water feature that incorporates a slow-moving waterfall and a calm, shallow pool will make your yard a regular stop for migrating birds and year-round residents alike.
- Density: Songbirds need shelter in bad weather and seek out dense brush and bushes. You’ll help them out by resisting the urge to cut back every single shrub at the end of the season.
- Birdfeeders: Suet in the winter attracts woodpeckers and other large birds. In the summer, you can all but guarantee you’ll be visited by Massachusetts’ only native hummingbird, the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, with a feeder filled with a solution of one part sugar to four parts water. These little guys love the water too. So if you combine hummingbird feeders and water features into your landscape design, you’ll be in for a real treat.
- Bird houses: Houses are another good way to provide shelter for small birds. Always be sure to place them in a spot that provides sufficient cover and are high off the ground. You don’t want to make your songbirds sitting ducks for predators.
- Plants: Choosing plants that provide food and shelter for our feathered friends is a great way to attract birds and to create a beautiful garden that you’ll enjoy for years. Some native plants that provide food and shelter for birds include: Wild Ginger; Canada Mayflower; Allegheny Serviceberry; Creeping Juniper; Flowering Dogwood; and Spicebush. There are more options than you’d imagine. Our experts at Acres of Green can advise you on which plants, shrubs and trees will thrive in your yard, attract birds, and create a beautiful garden.
You’ll want to design your bird-lovers paradise so that you can get the most pleasure from it year-round. That’s where professional landscapers like our team at Acres of Green can make all the difference. If you’ve got woodpeckers and birds of prey visiting you in the winter but you can’t see them from the breakfast table, or the sofa, or some other vantage point, you’ll miss most of your winter visitors.
Your yard may be perfectly suited for a tiered landscape with elements added to each that make it a unique and beautiful bird habitat. Or a garden path and strategically placed seating may be just what you need to get the most out of your garden. We can help you make these kinds of choices.
Give the professionals at Acres of Green Landscaping a call. Whether you want to design an entirely new landscape, need help with maintaining and preserving the beauty of your current garden, or want a professional to make sure yours is the best looking lawn on the block, we’re here to help.